Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Bigger is better, in this case!

As many people know, we (word used very loosely) built this house that we live in now.  Sometimes things don't always work out like you hope they will when you are building.  Because of numerous "things", our mantle was not what we wanted but it was what we got.  I won't go into details but we were not happy and the maker of the "mantle" told us he wouldn't make another one.  I live in an area where it is not easy to get replacements of stuff you aren't happy with, so we have been living with this "uck" for a couple of years now.  Here's a before pic.  I can't believe that I actually have items on top of the mantle.  With the rock, the ledge ends up being only about 3" wide.

And here is the "after" picture.  I can hardly wait to find some things to put up there.  The picture on there now is just to show how massive this mantle is.  It is also taller than me and I am 5'4"!  It would be an understatement to say how excited I am now about this room!

Now that the chaos is over....has not been fun living in this room for the past two weeks....I can get back to some sewing!  I have some Christmas projects to work on now.



6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Your new mantle is lovely. Can't wait to see Christmas stocking hanging from it.

Nedra said...

I agree, so much better! It needed to be proportional to the beautiful rock work in the room. Great job!

Ashley said...

Now that is a mantle!!! I love it!
It's absolutely gorgeous and I just can't imagine anything else ever being there because it looks like it fits perfectly. Nice work!

Gari in AL said...

Wow, that is really impressive. I do understand the mess you have been living with (rearranging here) and nice to know someone else is back to normal living.

janessa said...

the old one didn't look too little until you posted this mammoth of a mantle!

Jackie's Stitches said...

The new mantle is stunning! What a big difference!