Monday, June 30, 2008

Utah's Shop Hop

I hated missing out on the shop hop in Utah this past week so on Friday I made a mad dash over there to hit a few shops. I used the excuse that I had to return some blinds at Target to get me out of state. I was able to hit 5 of the quilt shops and then I found Material Girls that was highlighted in the newest edition of Quilt Sampler. I had a hard time finding their shop since it is in a new shopping area but I called and Nadine, the owner, guided me around the corner and into her shop. I am so glad I made the effort to find it! It was darling with so many samples hanging everywhere in the store! Her quilt that was in the magazine is better looking in person. After seeing it in person I had to buy the kit. I will definitely shop there again.

Maybe it was just me, but I had been so excited thinking that every shop hop participant would get a whole pattern of each quilt from each store. Well. I guess we did but I found most of the quilts to be ones that I would probably never make. The theme was along the lines of Fairy Tales. The quilts were all beautiful but just not ones that I would make for a child or myself to hang on a wall. Quilt Haven did have a traditional quilt and that was the only one that I thought I might want to make. So having said all that, I'm not sure I like the idea of getting a whole pattern at each store instead of a quilt block with ideas on how to set it. Maybe it was because of the theme. Anyway......I still had a great time enjoying each of the shops.

I started out in Ogden and worked my way down to Salt Lake. My favorite shop was Quilt Haven in Bountiful. I don't know why I love that place so much?! I also love Quilt, Etc. in Sandy. The employees at Quilt, Etc. go above and beyond making your visit memorable with them. They had games, food, demonstrations and just a happy feeling there. I spent lots of money in each shop...now to get working on my new treasures!

Here's a couple of pictures of what I bought that day......here are some kits I found irresitable....


4 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

That's quite the haul!
I like our Shop Hop here where we collected the fabrics and pattern for a tote bag.

Nedra said...

Hi Jana - I noticed you left a comment on my blog, and that made me go to yours. It sounds like we have a lot in common- both have 5 children, etc. Thanks for sharing your pictures of Utah's shop hop. I wasn't able to go this year, and the photo's of bloggers helped me feel like I was part of things anyway!--Nedra

Cornfield Quilter said...

What a great selection of quilt kits! I love kits, everything there you need. I would have loved to go on that shop hop! Being from Indiana, just a little too far. :D

Anonymous said...

I think you are going to one busy quilting who will be "quilting away and into the night"!!!