Saturday, May 15, 2010

Some days you should just not sew!

Just walk away from the sewing machine and come back another day!

As you know, I am participating in the Jelly Roll Sampler. Nanette from Freda's Hive made this week's block. Let me say up front, she had very good directions and lots of pictures to follow. Should had been a easy, quick block to make.
This is how my block turned out on my first try. Ummmmm......not like that pattern at all. I first had trouble just cutting the fabric. I don't know where my mind was but let's just say I had to get more jelly roll strips out and recut. Then I STILL didn't cut everything correctly! After sewing the 4-patches wrong, I just decided to give up for the day and finish the block "Jana's way".
 
I was going to just leave it as is since this is a jelly roll sampler. Who would know that I sewed and cut the block wrong? No one but me. Yesterday I decided that the block wasn't going to get the best of me so I remade it. I even followed the directions correctly this time. Here is what the block should have looked like in the first place.
 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lori's Quilting Confessions said...

You're right, no one would have noticed. The second one is very pretty! Sometimes it's hard to make those little buggers behave.

Nedra said...

I had to look hard to see the difference. Only a little change in the outside border. I wouldn't worry about it. Like you said, the blocks are scrappy and no one will know the difference but you.

Nanette Merrill said...

Jana, seriously these blocks are fluffy. You can do what ever you want. You've done a great job. I agree with Nedra. I could hardly see the difference. Nice job.