Sunday, July 18, 2010

Not Your Grandmother's Log Cabin class

Here are some of the quilts that are in the book, Not Your Grandmother's Log Cabin book by Sara Nephew with Marci Baker. I bought this book awhile ago along with the 60 degree ruler and they had been sitting on a shelf ever since. When I saw this was going to be a class offered at Quilt Wyoming, I quickly talked my daughter into taking it with me. I haven't quite got her into just sewing on her own yet but I can still twist her arm to take some classes with me and then she ends up with quilts she has made whether she likes it or not.
 

 

This is not a log cabin quilt but the instructor had made it. It is beautiful! She said that she puts it on her bed with 11 pillows so it fits nicely. Daughter asked me later why you would ever want to make your bed if you had to always put 11 pillows on it. I counted up how many I have on my bed and it is 7 and I told her I make my bed every day so to each his own, I guess.
 

This was the quilt that our instructor, Bobbie Crosby made for the book. She writes the patterns and instructions for the books that come from Clearview Triangle. Their next book is going to also incorporate their 60 degree ruler but it will have patterns for Tumbling Blocks. I am excited to get my hands on it after taking this class on Log Cabins.
 
Here is the quilt that my daughter and I were following. I let her picked which pattern in the book we would do since I was the one that coerced her into taking the class with me. She loved the bright colors.
 

This is my center section of the quilt I am making. I am using my stash of Fanciful. I am loving it so far!
 

This is my daughter's. I love the pop of color from her chimney piece!
 

My darling daughter sewing up a storm. Notice her earbuds....she told me that she needed some music to sew to since it wasn't provided in the classroom. Silly girl!
 
Here is a picture of the class.
 
What other ladies were working on in the class. We could pick any pattern in the book to make so it made the class very interesting to see what other ladies had picked to make and what their fabric selections were.
 

 

 
 

 

 
This class was fun. In the book there is a sentence that says that once you made one of the patterns in the book that you wouldn't be able to stop and would have to make more. I am tending to agree. Just wish my list wasn't so long of all the other quilts I want to make along with those in this book!

Next up....my class with Mary Lou Weidman!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mary Lou Weidman said...

Hey Jana, your daughter is darling-she reminds me of the girls in my day that were on the cover of Seventeen magazine-clean, sweet, wholesome,nice and love their Mother. It is nice to be around Mom's and daughter's who love each other. :0)
And "do you ever think white lipstick will come back?" I hope not!

Nanette Merrill said...

simply spectacular