Friday, September 24, 2010

Beautiful Fall Weekend!

Last weekend, the Honey and I stayed at our cabin. The weather was gorgeous. Lots warmer than most of the summer days we had over there!

We had a couple of visitors on Saturday morning. A cow moose was walking near the cabin and kept turning around to look back. Pretty soon this guy came up, grunting. He stopped, so we talked a bit before he got bored with me and walked into the trees.
 

The colors were gorgeous. Lots of red and orange already!
 

Middle child called us on our way home Sunday afternoon and told us to head to Evanston so we could see the fire raging near I-80. Well, wouldn't you know it, when we got there all roads were closed. We decided to take a back road home. Guess other locals decided to do the same thing since it was quite a busy dirt road.

Here are the Piedmont kilns. Lots of history around this area with the Mormon pioneers coming through this way, the California trail and the Piedmont ghost town.
 

When we finally hit the freeway we felt like we were in a twilight zone. No one on the interstate for miles! Here's the best pic of the fire that we could get.
 

At least we were able to make it home. Lots quicker than sitting with the poor folks on the interstate backed up for miles waiting for the road to reopen!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures! I miss my house in the Wapiti Valley when I see moose. They were always so fun to see.

Melanie said...

LOVED the fall colors!

Lois Evensen said...

What lovely colors you have there! Ours aren't so pretty at home this year because of a drought, but there will always be another year.

Near our house in Norway (now sold) the moose were regular visitors.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm glad I found your blog through another blog I read regularly.

Best,
Lois

Patty said...

So gorgeous...especially with this heatwave we have going on. Such a beautiful promise of fall.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog. It is great! I quilt too. Can you tell me the name of the witch hat pattern and where I might find it? You can find me at GoodsonFL@aol.com or www.goodolegoodsons@blogspot.com.

Nanette Merrill said...

oh well, fall is so beautiful. I love the crisp mornings. HOpefully we'll have a gentle fall into winter. Love your header.