Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It happened again!

If you've been following me, you might remember this from last year. We'll we did it again!

Here's some pics of our week in Minnesota and Iowa....

Getting ready to get in the new truck for the trip to take it home. I've never ridden in a semi but I have to imagine the ride in one of those is alot more pleasant than riding in this thing. You feel every bump in the road. We had lots of stops so we could just get out of the truck and walk around. I have been having a sore neck for several weeks but on this trip we hit a bump and my whole head, neck and spine cracked enough to make the neck feel tons better! The Honey kept telling me that if the tank had been full, the ride would not have been so bumpy. Uhhhh....no thank you. I'll ride in a nice, new sewer truck but have no desire to see how one rides when it is full!

On this trip, we headed down south to the Amana Colonies in Iowa. Beautiful scenic area. I am still impressed with Iowa. I love seeing all the cornfields throughout the state. The Amana colonies are comprised of 7 little villages with some quaint old houses and stores. We went to the museum and were quite interested in how the Amanas were able to live communally for over 80 years in the area. The houses didn't have kitchens. You went to a communal kitchen to eat with your family. Women worked in the kitchens, gardens or the kindergarten. Men did the rest of the work. In some houses you lived with 2 or 3 other families. It was fascinating to hear how they lived.


We found one of the old cemeteries. When you died, you were laid in order of your death. You were not buried with your own family.

Have to show this pic. I found it funny that when we stopped to eat in Nebraska that the walls were filled with "bugs" or things crawling on the walls. Just the place you want to eat at...a place that caters to bugs! The waitress thought I liked the decor when she saw me snap a couple of pictures. The other pic showed a cat crawling down the wall to catch a fish! LOL! I love finding quirky things!

3 comments:

Sonja said...

oh so that is where you were. we stopped to see you after the swim meet in Lyman. Looks like you had fun!!

Nedra said...

You truly have experienced the unusual. What a funny post! I have never had the opportunity to ride in a sewage truck, and I can tell next time my neck hurts, I need to come your way.

janessa said...

what about the rest of your week, where is that post?