Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cutting Mats

Last week I was reading an email that came my way about the differences in cutting mats.  I had heard about the self-healing vs. the hard surface mat but never paid much attention to them since I just assumed I "needed" the self-healing mat that everyone seems to use.
Well I was in Wal-Mart soon after reading that email and decided to see if they had a hard surface mat.  Yes, they did.  June Tailor makes it.  I decided to buy one (the biggest one they had--23"x23") and see what I thought after reading that your cutting blades will not dull as quickly.  (If you are thinking that my blade is dull right now, you would be correct)  Wow.  It does feel different when you cut.  Much more smooth when you cut and I am not pushing down so hard to cut.  I think I am going to like this new mat.  Will have to look for a bigger one though to fit my table.
Finished Block 2 of my Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt.  Am loving this mystery quilt!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Cindi said...

It's good to hear your take on these differences. I've got a large hard mat and a small self-healing that turns, which I keep next to my machine when I do paper piecing. I agree that I feel like I need to press harder with the self-healing mat. After a couple of hours of paper piecing my arm aches from the mat. I thought maybe I was just pressing too hard, but now I don't think so!

Sequana said...

I have worked with all kinds of mats - Olfa, Fiskars, J. Taylor...and the one I like the best is my new one.

Gingher has just started making rotary cutters and mats. They are absolutely delicious and are SO much easier on my hand and arms for cutting.

Denise :) said...

I'm loving your mystery quilt, too! I love the colors. Happy, happy! :)

Latane Barton said...

That's a new thought for me... a harder cutting mat. I had just always used to self healing one, Like everyone else, I guess. I'll have to check that out.

Nanette Merrill said...

I definitely want a mat I dont' have to push hard on. When you cut a lot out at once it makes it difficult on the arm. And one that lessens blade dulling is wonderful. I need a 24x36. I'm on the look out now!

thanks