Friday, June 19, 2009

Are you ready for a quilt show?

After putting 450 miles on my vehicle, I can say I had a great time at the Wasatch Front Shop Hop!

Bright and early we were off to Utah. The rain was hard and fast when I left my house but by the time I picked up my friend and the closer we got to the Utah border, the rain let up and it turned out to be a very nice day. Every person that visited the shops during the Shop Hop was given a free block pattern. Since this year's theme was All Around the Town, each shop pretended to be a specific building in a town. The shops each designed their own building's block and then furnished the pattern to the other shops so every store had a quilt to display as "their" town. I think that this year each shop outdid themselves. All the quilts were wonderful! Be ready for a feast! Click on pics to see more details.

First stop coming down Parley's Canyon into the Salt Lake Valley, was Piper's. Their block and shop was the "Pet Shop". We got there right when they opened at 9 a.m.

Next stop had us driving up to Bountiful to Quilter's Haven. They were the "Diner". While we were there, everyone in the store was a winner and we each were able to pick a small potholder kit! Yea for freebies and generous shop owners! I wish they had a website because this store is one of my favorites to visit!

Yes, we drove out to Tooele. We decided that since it was still pretty early in the day that we might as well try to hit as many stores as we could. Sew Sweet was the schoolhouse.

I had never been to the next quilt shop, Whimsey Cottage. Very cute place to visit and the gals there were very nice. Their shop was the police station, even had a chalked body outside the front door and used their thumbprints to stamp our cards. I loved their bright quilt!

We went to Mormon Handicraft but caught up with a crowd so I gave up on getting a pic of their quilt. They were the "Candy" store. Here is the next store. Elaine's. I had forgotten about this place from when I had visited them before. They have quite a nice selection of fabric but again, the store was crowded so it was hard to see much. Here is their quilt. Their store and block was the "Movie Theater". They gave away free popcorn and drinks and then my friend and I both won theater-size candy. We needed the sugar to keep us going! By this time, it was about 2:30 p.m. I thought their quilt was so cute with the flag on the top border.

Headed to Quilt's Etc. after a quick bite at Zupa's. I thought Zupa's was a local restaurant in Provo (south of Salt Lake). It was funny how we kept seeing them everywhere on this road trip. Quilt's Etc. is a fantastic shop. Hundreds and hundreds of bolts of fabric. In fact, they have two stores across the street from each other. They always go all out for the shop hops. This year they were the "Bakery". Look at the applique on this quilt!

Pine Needles has changed alot since I was there last. I really enjoyed visiting here this time. They were the "Train Station".

Talk about a "WOW" quilt!!! I fell in love with the next one at Thimbles and Threads! So many little, tiny pieces so I would never have the patience to replicate with the pattern they are going to sell(plus a kit to go along with it) but I did enjoy looking at it. Bright, colorful...my kind of quilt!

Headed south to Utah Valley and our next stop was Broadbent's. We had been there just a few days ago so didn't stay too long plus our time was running short. I liked this quilt with the plaids and blues but my friend thought it was too busy. This shop was the "Antique Shop".

The ladies at American Quilting were so nice. They gave us a goodie but I haven't had time to even open up the gifty to see what we got. They also gave us the whole pattern plus a color picture of their quilt so we can make it. No other shop did that. Again, we had been here a few days before so we tried to hurry in and out but got a bit held up when we both spied fabric we loved and hadn't seen in the other shops. I'm sure no one can relate to that one! The theme of their store and block was the town "Church". With it being Utah, they were dressed up as pioneers and had homemade bread and jelly for us.

The Stitching Corner was the "Bridal Store". It took me going to several shops to figure out why they all had white dresses on their block. I should have just looked at the flyer I had to find out! By this time, it was after 7 p.m. and we had one more store to visit before 8 so we had a bite of their wedding reception food of mints/nuts and fruit salad and ran out of there.

Last on our tour was Corn Wagon Quilt Co. We walked in with 20 minutes to spare! Again, we had already been here last week so we didn't need to do much except get our shop hop cards stamped. If you make it to all the shops during the 4 days, your card is entered into a drawing for different prizes. Corn Wagon was the "Toy Store". They were dressed up as clowns...and at the end of a long day, they were pretty silly. :)

In between hitting the official shop hop stores, we were also able to fit in Material Girls. Great store, great owner! I love to shop there since it is so friendly. We didn't want to miss it this trip.

Tomorrow I will hit the last 2 stores on the shop hop and will post pics later of their quilts. I didn't think I would make it to all of the shops but since I am going to another Parade of Homes tomorrow, I can! The Honey will be with me....I just know he is going to LOVE "shopping" in a couple of fabric stores with me! Whoohoo! LOL!

4 comments:

Miri said...

Wow! Wish I lived near you and all those quilt shops! I love how each quilt reflected the different styles of the shops (and I bet their fabrics!)

I think your blog is terrific and have given you a fun award. Just go to my blog to get it! :)

Ashley said...

Wow! It's amazing to me how many different and unique quilt can come from the same blocks. I loved the quilts from Whimsey Cottage, Pine Needles, Quilts Etc, and Thimbles and Threads. Well, really I thought they were all pretty great! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Nedra said...

Looks like you had a wonderful Shop Hop too! And we ate lunch at Zupa's on Wednesday. I drove back to St. G last night. Two days of hopping was enough for me. Enjoy today. One shop (on the other hop) called Gracie Lou's in Salem is a wonderful store. If you are in that area, they are worth a stop.

Gari in AL said...

What a wonderful shop hop and thanks for taking us along with you. Isn't it amazing the different interpretations for the same blocks? I would love to do them, too.