Friday, November 4, 2011

Fall doings....and a quilt!

I've been absent from the blogging world for a few months. Last post was in August. I was taking advantage of the last few days of warm weather. As of today, we have about 4" of snow on the ground with more to come this weekend. I'm just not ready for it yet!

I have been quilting but the 2 quilts I have finished in the last few weeks are already at the quilter so I will show those when they come back.

In the meantime here are a few pics of what I have been up to..........

Here is Baby Annaly (named after her 2 grammies---one of them ME!---Jana and Lana). It was her blessing day so she is with her proud parents. She is such a good baby and I can't believe she is already 3 months old!

Oh the green tomatoes!!! We had a cold front (with snow) come through and so I picked all the unripened tomatoes. I like to make salsa with the red ones but wasn't sure what to do with these guys. I searched the internet and found a blog that said you could ripen them by placing them in a covered container with a banana. Here they are one day after putting them in the container.

Sure enough it worked! Here is a pic taken only 3 days later showing the tomatoes turning red.

I also searched for recipes using green tomatoes. I came up with ketchup, fried tomatoes, salsa, bbq sauce, etc. The one recipe that really caught my eye though was the sweet one! It was a green tomato spice cake. It was SO VERY YUMMY! I made it several times (I was overwhelmed with green tomatoes!) and everyone that ate it was surprised to hear there were tomatoes in it.

Just finished this quilt and will take it to the quilter later today. This was a pattern that I have been itching to make for 4 years now. When we moved to this town, one of the first things we did was attend a benefit auction for a member of the community. A similar quilt was auctioned off there and I fell in love with it. The quilt had been a BOM from our LQS but the pattern had not been replicated for those of us who were new to the valley. I have been bugging--begging--bugging the designer to make it in pattern form for me to buy. She finally did. I just love the scarecrow! Will add the eyes, etc when I get the quilt back from the quilter.
Geralyn is a wonderful, generous designer. Many of her designs have been our BOM's at the LQS. You can find her patterns here.

That's it for now! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: